Cherry Blossom Tree

Cherry Blossom Tree

Monday, May 3, 2010

Final Exam

Kelly Hales

WST 3015

May 3rd 2010

Women’s Studies Final

The Abduction and Independence of Persephone

Demeter, the Goddess who ruled over all the crops in Greece, and Zeus, the King of Olympus, were blessed with a beloved daughter named Persephone. Persephone was beautiful and kind, but most of all, was adored and cherished by both her mother and father. The relationship between the three was quite powerful, and no God or Goddess dared bothering the captivating Persephone. Doing so may cause the crops to fail on behalf of Demeter or may upset the ever powerful Zeus.

Hades, the God of the Underworld, came upon the striking Persephone and knew only one thing; he must have her for his own. No one had ever touched his cold heart in the way that she was able. He knew that her mother and father would surely protect her from his wrath, but saw fit to ask his brother Zeus for permission to take Persephone for his own. He was hesitant to ask such a thing knowing the protection Zeus took over his highly desired daughter.

“Brother, keeper of the Over world, I have become captivated by one of your own kind, your own daughter, Persephone. I cannot think of anyone but her. I am unable to rule my own world for my mind is preoccupied by her wonderful presence. I have come to ask to take her to my world, and make her my wife.”

Zeus replied, “I am intrigued by your request, yet not surprised. She is absolutely captivating yet not quite prepared for marriage. Demeter and I agree that when she is of age she shall marry in this world and shall choose a husband of her own. I am apologetic, and wish you the best in the Underworld.”

Hades was not only outraged, he was determined. He will not be refused his one true love and needed to know that there was hope for him. Hades ventured to visit the only one who truly understands a woman’s heart: Grandmother Gaia. She was mother earth and would certainly be able to help him. Upon hearing Hades’ story, she agreed that Persephone would surely fall in love with him and make an excellent Queen of the Underworld. Gaia would help Hades make Persephone his wife.

Persephone was enjoying the scenery by the river when Gaia decided to perform some trickery. She forced the most beautiful and tempting flower to grow on the riverbed near Persephone. This flower smelled of honeysuckle and vanilla, and it almost seemed to glow. It captivated Persephone and she decided to pluck it from the ground to take home to her parents. However, a large dark hole formed in the ground after picking this tempting flower. Persephone curiously entered the hole and found herself instantly trapped inside.

It didn’t take long for Zeus and Demeter to notice that their beloved daughter was missing. They searched by the river and couldn’t find anything related to her disappearance. They relied on Helios to explain their missing daughter’s whereabouts, since Helios had the ability to see everything. He informed them that she had been taken to the underworld by Gaia and Hades to claim the title of Queen of the Underworld by marrying Hades. Zeus was infuriated, “I didn’t even give permission for this union to occur!” he boomed. Demeter, determined to rescue her daughter, traveled reluctantly to the depths of the underworld with Zeus. They encountered a very distressed young woman. “Persephone!” cried Demeter, “your father and I have been so very worried for you! Please come home with us!”

“I have heard enough! She is my wife and the Queen of the Underworld! “ roared Hades.

“She is my daughter! My pride, my love! She will come home with me!” howled Zeus.

Persephone finally chimed in, “Does anyone care about what I want? I have had no say in anything thus far!”

Demeter hurtfully whispered, “but darling, don’t you want to come home with your father and I?” and Hades desperately whimpered, “but Grandmother Gaia promised we’d be a perfect match.” Everyone seemed to be in a state of emotional despair.

“I just want to be able to choose my destiny myself” Persephone quietly pleaded. “I want to choose whom I love, who I will marry, and where I live.”

Zeus, Demeter, and even Hades were saddened at the expressed lack of control over Persephone’s own life.

Persephone led herself out of the darkness of the underworld and, on her own, began her new life.

While rewriting this fairytale, I was highly inspired by Dorothy Crittenden’s “The Mommy Tax” essay in Women’s Lives and Multicultural Perspectives. I wanted to make sure that the mother was not the only one who cared about the well being of the child (Persephone). I ensured that there was essentially no “mommy tax” for Demeter to bear. I did not allow Zeus to give his own daughter to Hades, and when she did actually go missing I wanted to make sure that Zeus cared about her whereabouts. I realize that I did allow Persephone to be abducted by Gaia (which is what happens in the actual tale), but I also ensured her personal freedom from all power of Gods and Goddesses in the end.

Crittenden, Dorothy. "The Mommy Tax". Women's Lives Multicultural Perspectives. New York: McGraw Hill, 2009.

I was also inspired to include Zeus on the search for Persephone by the article “I Am Not a Rapist” by John Stoltenberg. In this article John explains that not all men have the intent to injure/invade a woman’s personal space. He explains that they have created a group which supports the rights of women and focuses on the prevention of violence against women. I feel that this is important in regards to my rewrite because Zeus is as involved in the search for Persephone as his female counter part.

Stoltenberg, John. "I Am Not a Rapist". Women's Lives Multicultural Perspectives. New York: McGraw Hill, 2009.

Finally, and most importantly in my opinion, I used “The ‘F’ Word” by Kirk and Okazawa-Rey to allow Persephone to obtain her own personal freedom. “The ‘F’ Word” regards the history of feminism and hits key points which define characteristics of feminism. I feel that understanding a woman’s right to be free in certain situations and working through this course has allowed me to not only free Persephone, but to also free myself and my mind.

Kirk, Gwyn, and Margo Okazawa-Rey. "The Mommy Tax". Women's Lives Multicultural Perspectives. New York: McGraw Hill, 2009.

Works Cited:

"The abduction of Persephone". May 2nd 2010 .

No comments:

Post a Comment